Nov 14, 2007

Slick style tips

  • Catchy, funny or informative titles

  • Short paragraphs: giant blocks of text are scary

  • Sentences fewer than 25 words

  • Links (internal and external)

  • Always, always spellcheck…

  • One topic per post

  • Don't ramble. Sure, the web sprawls over infinite space, but readers' attention spans don't. Break that week in Rome into episodes: pasta overload, flasher on the Spanish Steps, witty musings about ancient art, Vespa crash, etc.

  • Many bloggers like to mix up the post length to keep things fresh: some days an essay, others just a Youtube link. Just remember to keep each unit narrowly focused.

  • Fresh voice, fresh content

  • Just as your passion dictated the blog's topic, let your personality infuse its voice. Carry readers along through your grumps, wild enthusiasms and strange obsessions.

  • Details are only rich in context: create a snapshot of how we live now or to embroider a universal theme.

  • 2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Hi Amanda. I just came across your blog via a comment you had left on someone else's blog. I am a brand new bloggie (all of 3 posts old).

    I have now added your blog to my Blogroll, firstly for myself as I get fed up having a list of favourites bigger than my computer screen, so it's easier to list useful blogs in my Blogroll, secondly you may get a few more visitors if other people click on the links in my Blogroll.

    Thanks for having thought to come up with such a useful blog for newbie bloggers!

    Sharon

    Amanda Castleman said...

    Hey Sharon,
    Thanks for the feedback. I designed this blog while teaching a class on the subject for the Hugo House in Seattle – nice to know it has a longer shelf life than expected!

    Enjoy the blogging adventure, Amanda